Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Finnish Funn: Jan 30-Feb 3

Tuesday I took an overnight "cruise." My friend, Mikael, me, and his mom and stepdad took the cruise ship from Stockholm to Helsinki. If you cage enough humans on a boat with alcohol and karaoke as the only means of entertainment, it can be pretty amusing. Have you ever seen Finnish karaoke? I have! There were gypsies, drunk men throwing up, icy waves, and one woman--who was, sadly, terribly drunk--that amused us all with her solo groove dancing. Wow!

Wednesday I had my first REAL sauna experience. I felt a bit like a roast in an oven. Mikael, Heikki (his stepdad) and I sat in the sauna. Mikael sat and translated for me because Heikki doesn´t speak English...just Finnish and Swedish. So, we sat there, sweating and sweating...Heikki throwing more and more water on the rocks, making the temperature go up and up (Mikael said that Finns have to show off for visitors). Then we ran outside, bare foot, and made snow angels in the snow. Mind you...we were all only wearing bathing suits. It was crazy fun!! I think I could get used to the sauna experience!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting your sauna is!
Nice to know you,my name is jessie.
email: gaoguomei@yahoo.com.cn ,welcome to write emails to me.

LeeAnn and David said...

Ohmigosh!!!! Glad you're having fun.

themisswhit said...

my only experience anywhere close to that is swimming in lake superior on christmas day. COLD. you were probably so hot you didn't feel the cold.

WOW your hair has grown a ton...and you should have a hat on in that top pic crazy girl. come home now. that is all.

ej said...

Finland?! Nathan is going to be crazy jealous! He talks about "sauna" (pronounces it sow-nah) ALL the time and even tried to convince me to let him build one into our previous home! He will be so excited to see your pics. Looks like you are having a blast! Erin Jensen