Wednesday, July 05, 2006

₤1=$1.84?!?!?!

4-5 July 2006:

If anything, being in London is painful...PAINFULLY EXPENSIVE! Good grief! The dollar is terribly weak, the pound is insanely strong...and the dumb Americans that come for holiday during "high" season get to pay for it! Oh, for the record: I'm the dumb American paying insanely high prices to play in London.

Then again, I've heard that London is good anytime of year...or was that Paris? Hmmm....

Well, since the last post (which, if you'd already read, I've updated it with photos), I've done more stuff ;) Of course! Here goes:

On the Fourth of July, I remembered the birth of our Nation...although the Brits didn't seem to care. I think they're just sore losers. Tuesday morning my sister and I got up early to go to the London Temple with a friend I met at church on Sunday. Conveniently enough, he had rented a car for his excursion around London and drove us there. It was a beautiful and long drive out of the city, to the suburbs. I really enjoyed being there and particularly enjoyed getting out of congested London and its noise and craziness.

Riding on the "driver's side" but not being behind a steering wheel was quite trippy! When Larry, the kid we were going with, came to pick us up, he got out of the car (on the right side) and walked to the left side of the car. My sister hopped in back and I said, "Oh, all right...I'll take the front!" and walked over to the right side (American passenger side)...and both Larry and Erin were like, "Duh! Amy, it's on the other side!" I'm learning, all right!

We were later than we expected coming back from the temple. Around 2:30 we got to the hotel and met up with Trevor. From there we ran (literally) to the British museum to catch a "highlights" tour. I could have given the tour! Good grief! All right, I'll admit, our tour guide, Ros, this old, fiesty British lady, had some interesting bits to share with us, but I was a little disappointed...because I thought there would be more stuff in our tour! We saw the Rosetta Stone (very cool!), the Elgin Marbles from the Parthenon (loved it!), and the Portland Vase (pronounced vauz, of course). After the tour, we walked around some, visited the amazing Reading Room, saw the Mummies, and then went to a pub to fill our tummies.

I'm a poet and now you all know it ;)

Like I said, we left the museum to go get some food. All of us were famished. We hadn't really eaten all day. Then we walked around the area on our way to the theatre district. We wanted to see Mary Poppins. Trevor and Erin like to get the best seats in the house...and we did have great seats...at a great price! But, the musical was spectacular! They rearranged the songs, used them in a little different context, made the story line a bit different and added some depth...it was "Practically Perfect" as Mary would say! Definitely a crowd-pleaser...and I'll admit, I teared up when Michael Banks said, "Mary Poppins, I love you." I'm a sap.

We left to the crowds in the street watching the big soccer game. I think it was Italy vs. Germany.

Today, July 5, we lazied around and finally got out of the hotel around 10 a.m. We went to St. Paul's cathedral...oh how I love that place! I could spend hours in there...however, my travel companions weren't too keen on doing that. So, we walked around a little and then started climbing the 1000+ steps to the top! Not kidding. We climbed to the Whispering Gallery that is at the base of the dome. If you whisper into the wall, you can hear it on the other side of the dome...it's awesome!

Like I said, we climbed and climbed. Kayla, who is on this trip with her father--Rick--who is Trevor's business partner, decided that she wasn't too keen on climbing the last 152 steps to reach the highest point. Erin and I were gung-ho, however. Erin, ignoring her fear of heights, pushed on, higher and higher, and we came out on top. Literally. And what a view! I love it!

A nice American woman offered to take our picture. I could tell she was LDS and asked her where she was from. "Utah," she replied. That confirmed our suspicions. :) She was in London to meet up with a man she met online! Yikes! And people think I'm brave to just travel by myself. Maybe I am brave and she's crazy. Anyway, as we were talking to her, I was swapping out the batteries in my camera and, butterfingers that I am, one slipped out and rolled off the ledge!! I was so ticked!! It fell into a trough that's about 15 feet below where we were. I could see it!! And I only had 4 batteries (now 3), and I needed all of them for my camera! Shoot!!

Anyway, we went down and asked the worker on duty if it would be possible to get the battery back...I thought it was a ridiculous question, but couldn't hurt to ask. They said that they do go in there and retrieve things every now and then, but it wouldn't be for a couple days. So I gave them the hotel name and phone number...hopefully they'll have it for me soon.

Now, you ask, why doesn't Amy just buy another battery?! Is she really that much of a tightwad? Well...yes. BUT...let me finish! This afternoon, we stopped by an electronics store near our hotel on the slim chance that they sell the same, rechargeable, Energizer batteries. Lo and behold, THEY DO! So, I grabbed a package of 4...without the charger. Now, here's some background: before leaving the good ol' US of A, I bought my Energizer recharger and 4 batteries for $18 at Wal-Mart. I took the 4 batteries (sans charger) up to the counter and asked how much it would cost.

₤20.

Now, if you didn't catch the title of this post, that's nearly $40!!! FOR 4 BATTERIES!!!! WITHOUT THE SILLY CHARGER!!!!

Whoa! So, I'm praying the nice men at St. Paul's will crawl into the trough that is 600+ feet above the ground to get my one battery that cost me under $4 a each. ;)

We RAN (we seem to do that a lot) from St. Paul's to the hotel because we had to change into our "smart" clothes for tea. Yes, Erin, Kayla, and I went to have tea at the Ritz Hotel. Mind you, not any Ritz Hotel...but THE Ritz Hotel. We were running exceptionally late, so we got a taxi and headed out. Nothing makes you feel cooler than pulling up to THE Ritz, in a black taxi, in London, in your "smartest" clothes! We walked in and it was incredible!!

Tea was a blast! It's not cheap...but it was a gift, so I will refrain from stating how much Erin spent on it...but it was near obscene. We were tucked away at a table and were fed finger sandwiches, scones, and pastries. Instead of tea, we opted for hot cocoa. The experience was divine! It is something I'll probably never get to do again!

There's a poem on the menu and it describes it perfectly:

I'm feeling sublime
For I've passed back in time,
Surrounded by glamour and glitz.
As I sip my Earl Grey [or cocoa, in my case]
All life's cares pass away,
For I'm having Tea at the Ritz.

It's friendly, no fuss,
But it's luxury plus
Cocooned in a creamy gold light.
There's a 'Tea for Two' mood
As the waiters bring food,
Displayed on three tiers of delight.

There are scones jam and cream
Straight out of a dream
And sandwiches minus the crust.
Pastries good to the eye
So they can't be passed by,
And fruity fruit cake - that's a must.

To accompany this,
Is a pianist, what bliss,
As music of old fills the air.
One fancies that it's
The right theme for the Ritz.
And a Nightingale's in Berkeley Square.

~Jill Rundle

That, my friends, perfectly describes Tea at the Ritz. Splendid!

We came back to the hotel and picked up Trevor and Rick. Then we all headed out to see the National Gallery. The last time I was in London me and my two friends, Jenn and Sara, played in the fountains at Trafalgar Square. Well...the sign below is now placed in the fountains. I don't know if that means we should be watching out for health problems or what.... ;)

I have a small love affair with the National Gallery. It's open until 9 p.m. on Wednesday nights and we didn't leave the hotel until 7. It broke my heart. Not that I didn't spend a short lifetime perusing the galleries the last time I was here...but, I just LOVE it! I knew, however, that my companions weren't as keen on reading and enjoying the works like I do...so I took them on my own highlights tour. I think it was about right for them. It was like giving me a lick of an ice cream cone and then telling me I wouldn't be allowed to have anymore, though.

After the National Gallery, we had dinner at a restaurant nearby called Garfunkel's. It was lots of business talk between Erin, Rick, and Trevor...and I was bored. But, you don't turn down a free meal...ever. :) And I enjoy being with my family.

Anyway, we're back at the hotel...it's nearl 3 a.m. and I should be in bed. 7:30 is going to come early and we've gotta do laundry.

Cheerio!


















<--P.S. You can't beat the advertisements in the Tube!!!Dad, Mike...you might just consider it ;) Just kidding!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Amy, thanks for the great pics. I love hearing about your London experiences. I remember telling you how I hated that wing of the Nat'l Gallery that had all the really old religious paintings and you said that was your favorite part. I'm glad there's people like you to appreciate those things since simple-minded me cannot! By the way, you look great in the pictures. Can't wait to hear where you go next.....