Friday, July 14, 2006

Ciao Milano!

Hello everyone! Great news: I made it out of Spain! Although, it was nothing short of a miracle. Yesterday I went to the train station, first thing, to change my ticket from Interlaken, Switzerland to Milan, Italy. I did some emailing/internet, got my 3rd bocadillo (the baguette sandwich with an egg omelet on it)...mmm!! And got ready to go to the beach.

What a cultural experience, to say the least. It's not that I was surprised...I wasn't. But, these women have NO qualms about taking that top off and walking around bare-breasted! And we're talking women of ALL ages...from the smallest 2 year old to the oldest 75+ woman...in all her glory! I didn't feel gutsy enough to bare it all...and I was probably the MOST covered girl on the beach with my tankini on. String bikinis are THE swimsuit on the beach in Barcelona.

I'm not much of a beach type...and going by myself was not the greatest. I was paranoid about leaving my things on my blanket and going into the water. I didn't want to get anything stolen. So, I would run into the water, keeping a sharp eye on my blanket, get out and read a book, run into the water, get out and read...it was getting old. After 2 hours, the sky got overcast and I decided that was a perfect time to head back to the Nield's apartment, gather up my things and go!

The Nields were just getting ready to leave when I came to their place. We talked for a little bit and then they headed out. I got a shower, packed up my things, double-checked to make sure I had everything, and went out. I stopped by the Instititute building, where they were teaching English lessons, so I could say goodbye. After a picture and a hug, I was on my way to the metro station.

I was definitely cutting it close, but I was sure I could make it. I got on the metro at 8:05 and my train left at 8:40. I had intended to already be at the station at 8 p.m., but those didn't happen. So, I willed the Metro to go faster. And it did...or at least it seemed to.

I got to the metro station for the train station around 8:30. I didn't see any signs, so I walked across the street and asked a guy. My first hint should have been the open container of wine...but, he was the only person around. I asked where the train station was and he said, "The other side of the street," as he pointed down the road. I asked, "Down the road?" He confirmed it.

I was getting stressed...less than 10 minutes to catch my train. I started to run, with the backpack. I was running along the walls of the train yard...so I knew I was NEAR the train station. I kept running and running...reminding myself that I had run a marathon without stopping, so there was no way I was going to stop running just because I had a backpack on my back. After a few minutes of all out running (and sweating), I STILL hadn't come to the entrance and I was freaking out. I asked a couple on the sidewalk where the entrance was and they pointed BACK the way I had come saying it was WAY down that way!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

I turned-tail and sprinted, as best I could with the stupid 30 pound backpack on my back, and ran and ran. I wouldn't stop. I ran around the corner and still didn't see an entrance. I asked someone really quickly and they told me to keep going around the NEXT corner. GOODNESS! I ran and ran, ran into the empty station and threw my bag down on the conveyor belt for security check. The guy asked me "Milano?" I said yes (it was 8:39 at this point) and he told me to pick up my bag and get to the platform. I sprinted over to the platform and was the last person on. Whew!!!!!!

I sat in the first car I came to, soaked in sweat, my face redder than a sun-ripened tomato...and just fanned myself with my fan while I thanked the Lord that I had made it. What was I going to say if I missed my train a THIRD time?!? I tried not to curse the drunk man for giving me bad directions. I'm sure he didn't mean to...but I've learned to ask and ask again. Especially if it is important.

I walked down the small hallways...quite a sight! My shirt was soaked through and I was glowing a lobster-red (unfortunately, I caught a view of myself...scary stuff, folks!). I finally found my compartment and collapsed onto my seat. There were two women in there already (it was a female sleeper car). The first one, young like me, says, "Do you speak English?" When I said yes, she breathed a sigh of relief thinking that she would be stuck with foreign speakers for the whole trip.

Her name is Gina and she's doing a 31 day European tour with her husband. They're from Seattle. She's a teacher and her husband is a mechanical engineer (he was in an all-male dorm). She was really cool. We talked for the better part of 2 hours. The other woman, Claudia, is from Columbia but lives in Switzerland now. She was really sweet, too. I talked to both of them...serving as translator when they spoke to/about the other. It was fun.

This scary guy that was WAY too interested in getting to know me and Gina stopped by our cabin and starts speaking in Italian. I answered back with my limited Italian. He's from Morocco and asked if Gina and I had boyfriends. I told him that Gina was married (he automatically looked at my hand and didn't see a ring...ummm...by the way, Mom, I lost the ring you lent me on the beach when I was putting sunscreen on. I'm sorry!!) and I quickly assured him that I had a boyfriend...a big one! With lots of muscles! All right, so I didn't add the big and muscle-y part, but I didn't feel bad telling him I had a boyfriend. He told me he was looking for a girlfriend...and she could be from anywhere, he didn't mind: American, German, English....

At that point I just wanted him to leave. I wished him luck and turned back to Gina. He stood at the door and listened to us jabber in English for another 2 minutes, completely ignoring him, and then he left. We promptly shut the door.

Creep.

I slept SO soundly on the train. Before I knew it, the night was over and we were flying through the Italian country-side. Gina had gotten off the train in Torino, so just me and Claudia were left in the cabin. She was very nice. She even treated me to breakfast in the dining car. I had hot chocolate with a croissant.

Again, the creepy guy came by and tried to talk to me and Claudia...but Claudia was very good at being short and formal with him. He left us alone after that.

We pulled into the station, I showed my passport to the customs people. They don't stamp it, though :( Bummer! I guess that whole EU thing means you don't get a stamp unless you come in from a non-EU country. At least, that's my guess.

I wandered around the station, looking for a place to stow my bag. I found the luggage-keep and started talking to the girl in line in front of me. She was by herself, so why not? Her name is Abi and she's from Scotland. She's 18 and doing her first solo European trip. So, we got to talking and I asked her what she was going to do in Milan. She wanted to see the Duomo and that was about it. So, I suggested we go together.

We went to the Duomo and were approached by this guy from Senegal. He had these "friendship bracelets" that he was trying to put on our wrists. I told him I wasn't going to buy anything. He said they were for luck and that they didn't cost anything. As soon as they were on our wrists, he asked for money. I told him he could take mine off if he wanted it because I wasn't paying. He just left. I've gotta be better at saying no and walking away.

The Duomo, like every other amazing building in Europe, is covered in scaffolding! We walked around it once and it's incredible!! The inside was beautiful with the stained glass...so pretty! It was good to have a friend with me to take pictures, too :) I'll post them when I get a chance. I left my cable in my backpack.

Afterwards, we wandered around the city a bit, saw the Gallaria V. Emanuele II, and headed to the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana. My book claimed that it housed the School of Athens by Raphael. I guess I should've known better, but it doesn't have the actual fresco. It's got Raphael's preliminary drawings. Not the same thing. But it was a neat museum.

I went to see Da Vinci's Last Supper and knew that you had to get reservations. I thought, maybe I'll get them for Sunday after I get back from the sailing trip. Their sold out through July!!! :( Shoot!! So, I don't know when I'll see the Last Supper. Dang!

I walked back towards the city center. There's not a ton to do in Milan. I bought my first gelato (Nutella!!) and ate it happily. That will due for lunch and dinner, I guess. I'm such a cheapskate and I definitely skimp by not eating.

I'm going to meet up with this kid to go sailing at 6:30. Should be a fun experience. We'll see.

Sorry there are no photos. They'll be coming.

Milan is not as "chic" as I thought it would be. But, whatever. I'm ready to leave this city and I've been here less than 12 hours.

No comments: