Sunday, July 16, 2006

E bella la citta!

14-16 July 2006:

Sheesh!! These computers are going so slow!! Sailing was...well, a no go. Sounded fabulous and great, but you've gotta go with your gut feeling. I met this kid, Landon, and his friend, Fai, at the Duomo. Nice kid, but I kinda got the impression that he couldn't care less if I went sailing with them or not. I know it was my decision, and he definitely left it up to me, but there was no "Sure...come! It'll be fun!" It was more of a, "If you want to, come. If you don't, no skin off my back." So...they went into the Duomo and that gave me five minutes to decide. I'd come up with a plan B earlier that day...and opted for plan B. I didn't have a BAD feeling about sailing with 5 guys on the Mediterranean, but I didn't feel all that welcome, either. So...Florence sounded like a great idea.

I broke the news to them (they were heartbroken...ha! Right!) and I headed off as quick as my legs could carry me to the trian station. I bought a ticket for Florence, the last train leaving that night. I rushed off to the internet hoping to find a hostel available. But, you can't book a hostel online for the very same day! Darn it! So, I was going into Florence, arriving at 11 p.m. with no place to stay. That was the major stress on my 3 hour trip.

I sat there, consulting my travel guide...writing down phone numbers of different places that I could possibly afford. I kept a mental monologue going...thinking, "Amy, it's not the FIRST time that someone has slept in a train station! Come on! No big deal!" "Amy, you have a credit card for a reason. If it costs you $100 for a room...for one night...it's not the end of the world." I just kept reminding myself that things would work out.

We arrived at the station and I bolted to a phone. After a couple of attempts trying to figure out how my Italian phone card worked, I started calling hostels and hotels. Finally, a lady said she'd have a room for me. It was going to cost me 60 euros. Not the end of the world...and it had air conditioning, it's own bathroom, and included breakfast! Sweet!

So, I walked to Tourist House, where my room was located. It wasn't too bad. Clean and quiet. I was so grateful!

I washed clothes in the bathroom and crashed in my bed. Exhausted!

I woke up the next morning refreshed and ready to go. I met a nice couple from Texas that is living in Milan. They were sweet...living the life I only dream of. They have 4 kids and they've moved them all from Texas to live in Milan for a year. She's a photographer, so she took my photo and got Mom's email address to let her know that her baby is doing all right...with a photo to prove it. A few minutes later, I met a girl from Bozeman, MT! She even knows who my Montana roommates are! Small world after all!

I went out looking for a place to stay and stumbled across a one star hotel: Hotel Desiree. It's located very near the station and it's nice! They gave me a great offer: 30 euros a night for a single, with air conditioning, breakfast, and my own bathroom. Sweet! So, I've been staying there and it's been so nice.

Yesterday I headed to the Accademmia...after an hour wait in the sun...and saw the MANY Italian Renaissance alterpieces. It's amazing stuff, but as Trevor asked me, "Seeing SO much of that stuff...doesn't it get old?" Yes. I got to the point where I'd just scan for names I had studied and look at those works rather than intensely study each and every piece. I proceeded through the museum and turned the corner...BOOM!
There he was. David! It was AMAZING!!! It's an absolutely beautiful sculpture! The setting is incredible...down the hall, set apart from any other statuary, arches...gorgeous! I walked past Michelangelo's Slaves/Prisoners...where he is "freeing" the work from the marble. They're pretty cool. But, not nearly as impressive as David!! It's just amazing. There's nothing quite like it.

Afterwards, I treated myself to gelato for dinner and then headed to the Piazzale Michelangelo. You cross the River Arno and I spied the Ponte Vecchio...I wish I knew what was so special about it...anyone want to inform me?

At the Piazzale Michelangelo, there's another David. Please note the effects of sun exposure. Protect your skin...unless you want to look like this!

I climbed up the hill to enjoy the sunset over the Arno and Firenze...I had lots of time, though. So, I people-watched and talked to a few. An old man sat next to me and we began to talk. He spoke English, which is great since my Italian is severely lacking! He offered to give me a guided tour of the church up there, San Miniato al Monte.

Piero, my guide, has such a passion for Florence. He knew so much about the church, it's symbolism, history, and I truly enjoyed my little guided tour! He was such a nice old man...until he turned a little...creepy.

The tour ended behind the church...no people around, really. He turns to me and, after an hour or more together, he says, "Amy, in this moment, I love you." Awww...that's sweet. I told him I felt very fortunate to have met him and to have such a great tour. He gives me a big hug (fine), kisses both my cheeks (fine), and then keeps his arms wrapped around my waist (not fine!). He's talking to me, arms around my waist...kinda like you might stand with your boyfriend or someone you are interested in at the end of a goodnight hug...I was weirded out! I tried my best to get out of it. He finally let go, but that didn't stop him from expressing how much he loved me (he claimed it was all the love of sharing beautiful things with a person who appreciates those beautiful things)...and he tried to kiss me on the mouth as we were walking...talk about awkward and really weird! I didn't want to be mean and shove him away...he'd been very kind. But he was getting WAY too touchy-feely for me! I thanked him again, promised to send him a postcard from my travels, and then he was off. I was relieved!! I immediately took my hand sanitizer and got the corner of my mouth, where he almost kissed me, disinfected. Ew. By the way, that's my nervous-smile in the picture with Piero...a little too big. Can't you hear my nervous giggle??

I called Mom and talked to her for a while. It was so nice. I've really enjoyed this trip. There are only a couple times that I've wished that someone were here with me...not anyone in particular...just someone to share the moments with. But, you can't beat going at your own pace!
I sat on the steps of the Piazzale with a few dozen other people and watched the sun cast rosy orange hues on the River Arno and through the Ponte Vecchio. It was pretty magical. I ate my toasted crackers and jam while cute couples shared bread, cheese, and wine with each other. That may be a reason to come with someone else :)

The sun went down and I headed back towards my albergo/hotel. I walked across the Ponte Vecchio...just a lot of people. I saw the lucky pig...the one that is in so many cities and if you rub it's snout, you have good luck. There's one in the Plaza in Kansas City...you've probably seen it.

I finally made it home and crashed in my bed. It was great!

I woke up and had a fabulous breakfast!! This albergo is awesome! I walked to church...which took a little longer than I expected. I understood quite a bit of Italian...which was fun for me! There are a number of Americans there...we even had an English-speaking Sunday School class. There are a few people studying art at some of the universities in Florence...what a blast! Florence is definitely a place I could get used to...I could even live here! There were 2 girls who I started to talk to after church. They're visiting...a 16 day trip to Europe. They are so nice and we became instant friends. Janelle, 27, is from California and teaches 2nd grade in Utah. Natalie, 26, is from Utah and teaches junior high. They are both returned missionaries, spanish-speaking missions...we have lots to talk about.

We decided to go to Fiozole this afternoon. It's a bus ride up a hill...about a kilometer or 2 outside of Florence. Talk about a view!! It was really nice to be with them...and it's when I'm with really nice, normal people that I wish I had someone to hang out with all the time. There's something so much better about sharing with people.

We tried to head back to Florence in time for a fireside at church, but didn't make it. The busses don't stop at all unless you are AT the bus stop. The bus from Fiozole passes every 1/2 hour...and saw us coming, but refused to stop. Punks!

Tomorrow I am going with the girls to Cinque Terre to hike between the 5 fishing villages. I was going to go Tues/Wed, but it's a blast to be with them...so I'll do it in one day and change my plans to accomodate the daytrip.

I've been searching for a hostel in Rome...that's proven to be pretty difficult. I've been spoiled with the A/C and don't want to get any room without it. I might have to lower my standards a bit, though.

I'm having a blast...it's fabulous to meet people and to see these things. It hits me a couple times a day as I'm just looking at the amazing things around me: I'm in Italy!!!

That's definitely a priceless feeling!

No comments: